Monday, November 12, 2012

A Level Playing Field


We had the opportunity to stop by a new, accessible playground the other day.


It was absolutely wonderful!



As my kiddos played, I started thinking.....

We have been very fortunate with most of our family and friends to not have the need to explain too much in regards to our youngest two having a disability. They are typically treated with respect and no different than our oldest 3 children.

Our older kids' friends have been so accepting and definitely join in the efforts of spoiling our youngest two kiddos.



 But, there have definitely been times when my feathers have been ruffled.


This post is not meant to be judgmental by any means.


I believe firmly in awareness and education.


Believe me, I have learned loads of new information and gained much respect when taking the time to educate myself and  simply being more aware of others' feelings, circumstances, etc.






Parents - your children are watching you.


Be an example.


Please don't be afraid of someone who may look a little different from you.


Please don't avoid someone simply because their behavior seems a little odd.


Definitely do not stare and make comments, whether they are heard or not.



For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.
Psalm 139:13-14



I can tell you from experience, both professionally and personally, my life has forever been enriched by the many friends that I have made throughout the years of having the opportunity to serve in Special Needs Ministry.



I have learned forgiveness.

I have learned unconditional love.

I have learned patience.

I have learned what bold faith in Christ looks like.

and many more life lessons that I will take with me for the rest of my life on this earth.


I will step down off of my soap box for now :)


Oh, I must mention just one more lesson that I have learned.



PURE JOY!


 





1 comment:

Jamie said...

I love it, you are so right!

Followers

Total Pageviews

  © Blogger template Snowy Winter by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP